Daga is the other principal magnetism and most visited monastery though it is far from Bahir Dar. It is located 40 kilo meters far from Bahir Dar city.
This monastery is built on a steep hilltop and needs to climb up walking through a winding path. The current building of the church was built in 1880s after it was burnt down by fire but the early paintings have survived from destruction of burning. The church and monastery was founded by Abune Hirsute Amlak in 1275 and it was dedicated to St. Stephen. As of history of St. Abune Hirute-Amlak, he brought the Tabot from Hayq Estifanos and the saint has prayed here for 60 years without eating and sleeping with help of the God.
The treasure house found here is different from other monasteries in that it hosts piles of brightly colored ceremonial cloaks and mummified coffins containing remains of the five former Ethiopian Emperors who ruled the country from the early 14th c until late 17th c; that include, Emperor Dawit, Emperor Zere-Yaekob, Emperor Susenyos, Yekuno-Amlak and Emperor Fasil. The church is also the burial place for the founder, Hirute Amlak and King Ze Dingle. The museum also displays three crowns of Emperor Fasiladas, Zere-Yaekob and Dawit and more other collections. It is open only for men.